For the first time the Art and Culture Development Foundation under the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Uzbekistan announces an open competition for a scholarship in foreign university.
In 2019, students have a unique opportunity to receive a scholarship for two-year studies in the «Curatorial Practices in Contemporary Art» Master's program of the National Research University «Higher School of Economics» and the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art.
The course is aimed at shaping and preparing future curators and art managers for the perception and analysis of various phenomena in modern visual practices from abstract painting to the work of video artists with found footage, as well as performative experiments. Detailed information about the Master's program and the list of necessary documents for participation in the program can be found here.
Candidates with higher education who meet the requirements of the Master's program can take part in the competition.
Stages of selection:
The competition will be held in three stages:
- At the first stage, applicants need to submit a portfolio for participation in the selection for the master's program “Curation Practices in Contemporary Art” at the National Research University Higher School of Economics and the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art. You can get acquainted with the conditions of application and the list of necessary documents here.
The deadline for submission of the portfolio on the website of the Higher School of Economics is July 28.
To proceed to the second step of the first stage, the contestants must upload the documents by electronic link in electronic format. All items for filling in and providing accompanying documents are mandatory.
- The second selection stage for participants in this scholarship program, who successfully pass the first stage, will be an online interview with the selection committee of the HSE and the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art in the building of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Uzbekistan at the address: 1, Taras Shevchenko str., Tashkent.
- If necessary, the Foundation reserves the right to conduct a third additional stage. It will be held in the form of face-to-face interview with members of the internal commission of the Foundation with candidates who have completed the first two stages.
The scholarship competition is a component of the Scholarship Program under the regulations of the Art and Culture Development Foundation under the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The scholarship for the program will cover the following costs:
- The total amount of the contract fee;
- Magistrate’s accommodation in Moscow for the duration of education;
- Food and internal transport;
- 4 flights for the duration of education;
- Medical insurance (at the minimum rate).
Criteria for evaluation:
- academic performance;
- scientific and research works;
- analytical skills;
- organizational skills;
- motivation for development;
- social activity;
- awareness of the importance and benefits of the chosen specialty and its role in the development of the sphere of culture and art.
- accepting applications on the HSE website: until August 6, 2019
- accepting applications on the Foundation website: until August 10.
- examination of applications for the first stage: from August 12 until August 13, 2019
- announcement of the results of the first stage: August 14, 2019
- online interview for the second stage: August 20, 2019
- face-to-face interview with the Foundation Commission (if necessary): August 23, 2019
- summing up the competition: from 26 to 28 August 2019
- announcement of winners: no later than August 30, 2019.
The schedule for the contest winners:
- conclusion of contractual terms with the winners: within 10 working days from the date of announcement of the results of the competition;
- scholarship payments: until the end of September 2019.
Conditions for participation in the scholarship contest:
- Candidates up to 30 years old can take part in the competition;
- Competition participants may not be winners of several scholarship programs at the same time;
- The Foundation reserves the right to suspend the payment of an educational scholarship in case of violation of academic discipline, poor academic performance, systematic absences during studies without valid excuse, violation of the internal rules and regulations of the university, violation of the rules during living in a dormitory (if the student lives in a dormitory), occurrence of force majeure circumstances, including natural phenomena (earthquakes, landslides, hurricanes, droughts, etc.) or socio-economic circumstances (state of war, blockades, bans on imports and exports in the public interest, etc.). The decision to suspend funding is made by the selection committee of the Art and Culture Development Foundation;
- the scholarship amount is transferred to the settlement account of the receiving organization;
- In the case of enrollment to the two-year master’s program, the Foundation reserves the right to allocate students in organizations and institutions of the Republic of Uzbekistan for internships during the summer holidays;
- The grantee, after receiving master’s degree, by the decision of the Foundation scholarship commission, is employed in priority areas of the institutions of culture and art that are under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Uzbekistan during three months. Duration of employment: not less than three years.
- The Foundation is not responsible for the personal safety of students during the entire period of study;
- The Foundation does not cover student expenses (accommodation, food, internal transport) during the summer holidays;
- During an unscheduled return of student to Uzbekistan during the educational process (force majeure, health issues, etc.), all financial costs for air travel are carried by the grantee.
The winners of the scholarship program can be creative people who are able to share their knowledge and skills, generate new ideas, implement them and take personal responsibility for the result of the work, as well as personalities who are ready to gather a team of like-minded people around themselves and inspire them to achieve a common goal.
Photo: Garage Museum of Contemporary Art